There are many communities that offer housing for individuals who are 55 years and older. However, this does not mean that only people over 55 will be living in the complex or neighborhood. To better understand the rules that allow residential areas to advertise as 55 and over it is necessary to read further.
When the Housing of Older Persons Act was enacted in 1995, this allowed for communities to develop what would have originally been considered discriminatory communities. This is based on the housing criteria that have been set in place by the Department of House and Urban Development stating that no person can be denied housing based on factors such as sex, age, or race. However, there is a stipulation in the HOPA act that mandates at least 80% of the residential units must have a person 55 or older living in them. This leaves a margin of 20% of the units available to individuals that are not necessarily 55 years old. It is important to understand even if you reside in a Florida 55+ retirement community not everyone in the community will be over 55. However, the community has the right to deny any application that does not have an individual over the age of 55. Ultimately the choice is up to the director, president, or manager of the community.
There are often exemptions that you can qualify for if you live in a Florida 55+ retirement community. Although, it is necessary to make sure the housing facility you are interested in qualifies as 55 and over the community. It is a requirement for Florida 55+ retirement communities to follow age verification procedures. However, it is not necessary for them to provide services or facilities that are specifically for senior residents. These communities are for seniors who need little to no assistance to live life on a day to day basis. Therefore, if you have a loved one in need of assistance, then it is wise to consider other alternatives that will allow them the extra help and care that they need.
To ensure you are applying to a community that is for individuals who are 55 and over make sure you see the information that has been published by the community; for example, regulations, rules that are in print, deed restrictions, or lease provisions are all very informative. It is necessary for these communities to adhere to procedures as well as policies that illustrate their intention to provide housing to individuals who are 55 and over. If you qualify for housing, then it will be necessary for you to fill out surveys and affidavits from time to time to verify your occupancy.
Remember, just because you see advertisements that say adult housing does not mean that the community qualifies as a 55 and over the community. With so many new communities popping up every day, it is necessary to do your due diligence before signing a lease agreement or purchasing a lot in a 55 and over the residential community. If you have read over the information provided by the community and are still not sure if the community qualifies as a 55 and over the community, then it may be wise to contact a lawyer or local governmental housing representative to obtain a better understanding. Make sure you take your time when picking a community, and choose based upon your needs versus a lower priced unit. This will help you enjoy your stay in a retirement community for years to come.